World Rugby Limited together with its associated companies, World Rugby Tournaments Limited, World Rugby Development Limited, World Rugby Strategic Developments Limited and Rugby World Cup Limited, each of which has an address at World Rugby House, 8-10 Lower Pembroke Street, Dublin 2, Ireland ("World Rugby", “us”, “our”, or “we”) take your privacy seriously and are committed to protecting your personal information. This privacy statement relates to our information collection and dissemination practices for www.world.rugby, rwcwomens.com and www.rwcsevens.com ("the sites").
World Rugby Limited (in respect of www.world.rugby), or for rwcwomens.com and www.rwcsevens.com, Rugby World Cup Limited acts as the controller of your personal information in respect of the sites. Both of World Rugby Limited and Rugby World Cup Limited have their principal place of business at World Rugby House, 8-10 Pembroke Street Lower, Dublin 2, Ireland.
In this privacy statement, when we refer to "we", "us" or "our", we are referring to World Rugby Limited or Rugby World Cup Limited, depending on which of us has the relevant personal information.
Our data protection officer is Liam McKenna and you may contact our data protection officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to our postal address at World Rugby House, 8-10 Lower Pembroke Street, Dublin 2, Ireland and marking your envelope “Data Protection Officer”.
We fully respect your right to privacy, and any personal information which you volunteer to either of us will be treated with the highest standards of security and confidentiality in accordance with the terms of the applicable data protection and privacy laws.
This privacy statement sets out an explanation of what personal data we collect from you when you use the sites, how and why we collect and use that data, who your information is shared with and a description of your rights with respect to your information. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it.
What information do we collect?
In general, you can visit the sites without providing personal information but we may still collect aggregated and anonymised statistical data (as described below). However, there may be times when we will request personal information. In those cases, the categories of your personal information which we may collect are:
- Registration Data: Where you wish to take part in certain services, activities or facilities available on the sites (such as entering competitions or playing fantasy rugby games or other games), or otherwise to access and/or use certain parts of the sites (such as when you contact us, request particular information, or subscribe to our newsletter services, receive information about volunteering and/or tickets or to access personalised content or localised content based on your geographical location and/or subscribe for or make use of other services (for example, subscription services) available on the sites, you will be required to register with the sites.
Where you register with the sites, the personal information we collect includes the following: name, involvement in Rugby, age, country of residence, country supported, nationality, gender, your geographical location and/or your confirmation that you have read and agree with the Terms and Conditions applicable to the sites. Your chosen password and other information (including e-mail address and the details of which you have indicated are your interests for the purposes of receiving future information) are also collected, retained and used to create a unique logon for you to access the services or a particular part of the sites.
- Contact Data: When we want to communicate with you, or where you want to communicate with us, we will use your email address, name and username for such purposes. If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Newsletter Subscription and Marketing Data: Where you subscribe to any of our newsletters or marketing mailing lists, we will collect data relating to your preferences in relation to the type of information you would like to receive from us and will send you information or marketing/advertising messages which you have indicated you would like to receive from us.
- Games or Competition Data: Where you enter or participate in certain activities, facilities or services available on the sites (such as competitions or fantasy rugby games), we may also collect additional information relating to you in order to facilitate your participation in these activities (such as your answers to competition questions, your predictions as to the score of a match or your team selection and points in a fantasy rugby game).
- Match and Tournament Data and Images: We also collect and publish statistics and photos regarding past and future international rugby matches and tournaments on the sites. We do this on the basis of our legitimate interests in maintaining comprehensive records of international rugby matches and to make these records available to the public and for media and journalistic purposes. These statistics and photos may contain personal data relating to you to the extent that you participated, or were present at, relevant matches and tournaments.
- Statistical Data: We may collect information about your interaction with the sites and the services on the sites. This may include information about your computer and, where available, your IP address operating system and browser type. We may perform statistical analysis of user behaviour and characteristics in order to measure interest in and use of the various areas of the sites and to ascertain the number of users that have visited particular web pages. (“statistical data”). In performing statistical analysis, parts of the sites use Google Analytics (a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc.) to capture and analyze sites statistics. For more information on Google Analytics please see google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html. We will provide only aggregated data from these analyses to third parties and this statistical information does not identify any individual.
How we use your information
We collect and use your information in order to:
- give you a better service;
- facilitate your access to the activities, facilities and services on the sites (such as competitions and fantasy rugby games);
- to provide you with information you request, and (subject to the preferences that you express through the site) other information that may be of interest to you, including information and, where you have requested them, marketing/advertising messages about World Rugby, its tournaments, its governing structure, rugby teams and players, partner activations, other events and activities, and the Game of Rugby Union;
- to contact you as and when necessary and appropriate.
Your information is also used to fulfil your requests for certain information and/or services from us or our associated organisations (e.g. subscription to our newsletters, to participate in polls, and/or to set language preferences), to participate in certain activities (e.g. to facilitate access to and/or use of parts of the site content,) and/or to make the sites more useful to you (e.g. where you express interest in volunteering and/or tickets for the World Rugby tournaments and/or events and for us to provide you with relevant information).
The legal basis on which we use your personal information for sending you information and marketing/advertising messages which you have subscribed for or requested is your consent. You may withdraw your consent to receive such messages at any time, by unsubscribing to any mailing list for which you have subscribed or by adjusting your preferences on the sites – please see “UNSUBSCRIBING FROM SITE/SERVICES” and “Your rights to access, correct, modify and/or remove your personal information” below for further information.
The legal basis on which we process your information for all other purposes described above is our legitimate interests in providing information about World Rugby, its tournaments, its governing structure, rugby teams and players, partner activations, other events and activities, and the Game of Rugby Union and enabling you to obtain additional information or participate in optional activities that are of interest to you and delivering to you the access, information, services, facilities and activities you request.
We will, however, delete your information from our records if you ask us to do so (see How to contact us).
We use statistical data collected from your use of the sites to make ongoing improvements to the structure and content of the sites, to give you a better service, and to provide you with information you request.
How your information might be shared
We may share your personal information with companies, organisations or individuals in one or more of the following situations:
- World Rugby may share your personal information with Rugby World Cup Limited (and with the organisers of any Rugby World Cup tournament (such as Rugby World Cup 2019 Organising Committee ("Japan Rugby 2019")) where you have requested that we do so and/or where it is necessary in order to provide you with information that you have requested (e.g. in relation to tickets for Rugby World Cup 2019 or any future Rugby World Cup tournament (including Women’s Rugby World Cup and Rugby World Cup Sevens));
- Certain associated organisations, where you have consented to us doing so. The associated organisations to which, with your permission (in both cases), we will release your personal information are limited to:
- World Rugby’s associated companies, and the Member Unions thereof organisations associated with us (subcontractors) and the organising committees of future World Rugby tournaments; and
- our worldwide partners, tournament sponsors and official suppliers.
- Certain activities which may be available on the sites (such as competitions or fantasy rugby games) may involve the sharing of some of your personal data (such as your Games or Competitions Data) with other individuals participating in that activity (e.g. where you enter into a fantasy rugby game league) with other players.
- We may need to provide third party service providers with access to your information to enable us to obtain maintenance, administrative or technical support for the sites and, where you have consented to us communicating with you or have requested us to communicate with you, to assist us in preparing our communications to you. These service providers are not authorised by us to use or disclose personal data except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements;
- We may also share your personal information with third parties:
- when required by law or in response to legal process;
- in response to a request from law enforcement relating to a criminal investigation;
- to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of the public;
- to analyse our data, conduct mobile analytics services or to maintain and improve our services (subject to confidentiality agreements as appropriate);
- to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit damage that we may sustain;
- if the rights or safety of another individual might be violated or in threat; and
- where you otherwise consent to us doing so.
Will your information be transferred abroad?
Some of the entities to whom we may provide your information, as described above, may also be outside the European Union. Countries outside the European Union may not provide a level of legal protection for your information as strong as the level of protection provided in Ireland or your home country. Where we transfer your personal information collected through the sites to a country outside the European Union (including to Japan Rugby 2019) it will put in place a data transfer agreement with the overseas recipient of the information, protecting the information, in the appropriate standard form approved for this purpose by the European Commission (please contact us (see How to contact us) if you would like to see a copy of any of these agreements). The only exceptions are where we transfer information to member states of the European Economic Area or to countries outside the European Union which have been determined to provide an adequate level of protection by the European Commission, or where the transfer is legally justified on another basis.
How long do we keep your information?
Any personal information collected is retained only for as long as it is required, given the reason why we hold it including for the purposes of satisfying any accounting, reporting or other legal requirements, in accordance with our Data Retention Policy. For example, we will delete personal information if it we have communicated with you for a year, or if it has held your information for a year and you have not subscribed to any particular communications or services, or earlier if you ask us to delete your personal information.
UNSUBSCRIBING FROM SITE/SERVICES
You have the right to prevent marketing information being sent direct to you. If you prefer not to receive information from us, or from other organisations to which we may disclose your personal information, let us know by exercising the marketing preferences offered when we collect your details or contacting us (see (How to contact us)).
If you have subscribed to any services on the sites requiring registration (for example, to receive newsletters or marketing communications from us) and you no longer wish to be subscribed to those services:
- depending on the services you have subscribed to, you may have the ability to unsubscribe your personal information online (for example by clicking “unsubscribe” button or link on the sites or within any communication received by you). In order to prevent your personal information from being viewed by others, you will be required to sign and/or log in with your credentials (for example, e-mail address and password);
- you can request to unsubscribe your personal information by e-mail to the e-mail address email@example.com, with “unsubscribe” in the Subject line. Any requests should include enough information to enable us to satisfy ourselves as to your identity and to determine the services from which you wish to unsubscribe.
By unsubscribing from any services requiring registration on this sites, your subscription status will be set to inactive and you will not receive any further communication. If you wish to have your personal information removed, please refer to the procedures outlined below (i.e. under the heading “Your rights to access, correct, modify and/or remove your personal information”).
Children under 16
We understand that extra considerations must be taken when processing the personal data of children under 16, and have taken this into account in drafting this privacy notice, and in concluding that our legitimate interests can be relied on as the legal basis for our processing of children’s registration data in connection with the sites. If you are under 16, you must obtain the approval of a parent or guardian before you choose to receive any services or communications from us in connection with the sites.
The security of the information you provide is very important to us and we try to provide secure transmission of your information.
While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any data transmission over the Internet. Once we receive your information, we take technical and organisational security measures that we believe are reasonably appropriate to protect it from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction to ensure the data's integrity. We use a combination of technological, physical, administrative and organisational controls as well as non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements as we deem appropriate to protect your information.
We urge you to take precautions to protect your personal information when you are on the Internet. Keep any passwords safe and make sure you use a secure browser. In addition, you should take reasonable precautions when using a computer that is not your own or in a public setting.
Your rights to access, correct, modify and/or remove your personal information
You can access and review your preferences as regards the information and services you would like to receive from us by reviewing your profile once you have clicked on the “Update” link within any communication which you receive from us. You will then be able to update and correct some of your personal information by editing the information that appears on your profile.
In addition, you also have the following rights under applicable law, although your ability to exercise these rights may be subject to certain conditions:
- the right to receive a copy of and/or access, correct, and/or modify the personal data that we hold about you, together with other information about our processing of that personal data;
- the right to request that any inaccurate data that is held about you is corrected, or if we have incomplete information you may request that we update the information such that it is complete;
- the right, in certain circumstances, to request that we erase your personal data; and
- the right, in certain circumstances, to request that we no longer process your personal data for particular purposes, or object to our use of your personal data or the way in which we process it.
Please note that if you request the erasure of your information or object to our processing your information, we may not be able to reflect your preferences the next time you visit the sites.
In order to exercise any of these rights, please write to us using the contact details specified below. To enable us to address your request, we may need to request further information from you so we can satisfy ourselves as to your identity.
How to contact us
If you have any queries in relation to this privacy statement, or if you would like to contact World Rugby Limited or Rugby World Cup Limited in relation to your rights, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or World Rugby House, 8 – 10 Lower Pembroke Street, Dublin 2.
If you are not happy with the way that we have used your information or address your rights, you have the right to make a complaint to the Irish Data Protection Commission by emailing email@example.com.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We reserve the right to change our security and privacy policies at any time. Accordingly, we recommend that you check this page periodically in order to review our current policies.
Links to other world rugby websites, or other third party websites
The sites may contain links to other websites whose privacy and information practices may be different to ours, including other World Rugby websites and/or third party websites. We are not responsible or liable for the content or privacy policies of websites other than these sites. You should be aware of this when you leave the sites and we encourage you to read and familiarise yourself with the privacy policies and/or notices on other websites you visit.
World Rugby Limited
World Rugby House
8-10 Pembroke Street Lower
Copyright © World Rugby 2018. All Rights Reserved.