Neve Jones proved the match-winner at The Sevens Stadium as Ireland recovered from going 10-0 down in the first half against Spain to secure a narrow 15-13 victory, and the inaugural WXV 3 title.

Ireland and Spain had lined up in the Dubai heat with first place on the line, and despite early Spanish dominance it would be the determination and resilience of the Irish that won the day.

Less than a minute into proceedings Ireland co-captain Edel McMahon was sent to the sin-bin, having made head-on-head contact with a Spanish player.

With Ireland a player down, the Spanish attack tried time and again to make headway before, with 10 minutes on the clock, outside-centre Claudia Peña Hidalgo took the ball deep inside her own half, danced through a pair of defenders and flew up field, green shirts in pursuit, before diving across the line to give Las Leonas the lead.

Thereafter, Ireland looked to be in the ascendency, but on more than one occasion their attacking play fizzled out from a dropped pass or an unforced knock-on.

Meanwhile, Spain methodically took their chances, Amalia Argudo adding a pair of penalties. Sandwiched between those successful kicks, Ireland opened their account with three points from fly-half Dannah O'Brien.

On the cusp of half-time Spain looked poised to score again, camped out on Ireland’s line and repeatedly winning the advantage.

Despite Linda Djougang being shown a yellow card with the clock in the red, Spain failed to add to their points tally and the score was 13-3 as the teams turned around.

The Ireland who ran out for the second half were an altogether different proposition, though. The frenetic pace, and the mistakes that came with it, were jettisoned in favour of a more surgical approach that paid off after 60 minutes as Grace Moore scored their first try, O’Brien converting to bring them within three points of their opponents.

A second try followed with less than six minutes left as hooker Jones put Ireland ahead for the first time.

Spain gave it their all and, as the clock ticked past the 80-minute mark, they won a lineout but time and again their runs crashed into Irish defence.

With a penalty they kicked their way into Ireland's half, but Scott Bemand's side, stealing possession at the resulting lineout, secured victory and top spot in WXV 3.